Our top 5 reasons why men should practice yoga too!
Unfortunately, all too often men hesitate to practice yoga. We hear reasons like… ‘I’m not flexible enough’ or ‘isn’t it more for women?’
But why not try it?
Saying that you’re not flexible enough to do yoga is like saying you’re too dirty to take a shower! Yoga is the perfect way to improve flexibility and mobility within the body. Plus, yoga was developed thousands of years ago by men (the forest sages of Ancient India to be specific.).
It was traditionally only taught one-on-one, to men who were on a true quest of self-mastery.
The last few decades have seen a huge rise in western modern-day yoga. It’s hugely popular amongst women, and this has created the (untrue!) perception that it suits them best, rather than men. Today we’re telling you this couldn’t be further than the truth.
At Living Flow Yoga we have a thriving community, and we’re proud to say this includes men who love to roll out their mats on a regular basis.
There are plenty of benefits that men will reap from the practice, so we’ve listed our top reasons why men should do yoga.
Benefits of Yoga for Men
To Improve Flexibility
– Yoga is the perfect antidote to sedentary lifestyles. What better way to stretch out the aches and cramps of a day at the office?
– It also increases your range of motion. One study found that there was a 35% increase in flexibility after just eight weeks of regular practice!
To Relieve Stress
– Drawing on the mind-body connection, yoga fosters many emotional & mental benefits.
-The same can be said for the yogic element of conscious breathing (pranayama).
– As a mindfulness practice, yoga guides the nervous system (parasympathetic) to place of rest.
To Enhance Athletic Performance
– Yoga will improve flexibility and mobility.
– It increases focus.
– Yoga improves strength (targets specific muscles).
– It creates balance in the body.
For a Sense of Community
– Yoga is a perfect time away from devices, work and pressure.
– It is a meeting of like-minded people.
– And all of this is in a welcoming and encouraging atmosphere.
With all that said, if you’re ready (or have a man in your life who would benefit from yoga)… why not come along to a class at Living Flow? We would love to have you!